Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dining In - Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chick'n

Vegan Frozen Entrees Gardein
Mandarin Orange Crispy Chick'n  - Gardein

Here's an example of a quick, affordable at-home meal. I got my first taste of Gardein last year at the Vegetarian Food Festival in Boston. My initial reaction was that this brand comes closer to the real thing than all the other mock meats I had tried at the time; although the long list of ingredients is a little unsettling (see photo at the end). It's the brand that a few restaurants have even started to carry, like Yard House, Veggie Grill, and Sublime. While I've mentioned before that I try to stay away from soy-heavy, processed mock meat products, sometimes I want a little "junk" food. I feel better knowing that my new junk food is far better for me than non-vegan junk food. 
                                
Vegan Product - Frozen Meal - VeegaThis entree packs a lot of protein, 17g for one serving, while still being low-calorie. If you happen to eat the whole package (without sauce, which is really the best part!) it's 450 calories. Usually I cook up the whole package and add brown rice and steamed mixed vegetables and create two meals out of it. The Gardein website even offers a couple of recipe ideas - check it out here. I've also had the Trader Joe's version (and blogged about it). It is slightly less expensive, but the texture is a little chewier and not quite as good. For a "quick & easy meal," like the package promises give this a try.

      Label for Gardein Mandarin Chick'n

Gardein Products

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!