Sunday, November 17, 2013

Dining Out in Portland - Voodoo Doughnuts


Vegan Voodoo Doughnuts
Vegan Toasted Coconut Cake Doughnut - Voodoo Doughnuts

Voodoo Doughnuts was recently named one of the "20 Most Iconic Food Destinations Across America" by Smithsonian Magazine. Pretty cool!

My first trip here was quite an adventure. It was late at night (yes, it's open 24/7!) after a full day of flying and driving into town for a business trip. I was lost trying to find the downtown Portland location and the friendly police politely notified me that while on my quest for doughnuts I had broken multiple traffic laws. As soon as they knew I was a tourist they took pity on me and pointed me in the right direction. We arrived to no line and an overwhelmingly large number of doughnuts to choose from, both vegan and non. You can see the list on their website, try not to drool on your keyboard. With playful and even naughty names, the flavors get very creative and nostalgic, like Captain My Captain, a yeast doughnut with vanilla frosting and Captain Crunch cereal. For vegan options they have a lot to choose from, both cake and yeast doughnuts like Oreo, maple, coconut, sprinkles, peanut, or triple chocolate penetration. 



 
Rotating Carousel of Delicious, Heavenly and Colorful Doughnuts!

We ordered a Voodoo dozen to bring to our coworkers and I ordered myself the appropriately named Cock-N-Balls doughnut, chocolate glazed, complete with cream filling in the balls. There are endless jokes to make with this one... The taste was exactly like a traditional yeast doughnut, though it had been many years since I tasted one, I bet that a non-vegan could not tell the difference. It's a large portion so I didn't eat it all at once and it was still just as good the next day.


Vegan Cock-N-Balls Doughnut - Voodoo Doughnuts
Vegan Cock-N-Balls Doughnut - Voodoo Doughnuts


Vegan Apple Fritter - Voodoo Doughnuts OR
Vegan Apple Fritter - Voodoo Doughnuts
Of course, you can't visit only once when staying in Portland, so the morning we were flying back home we stopped by again. I changed it up a bit and went with the Apple Fritter doughnut - it was AMAZING, capitalization of text is required on this one. It was huge, but I felt the need to finish this over the course of a few hours while traveling. It's what you might expect - fried dough with chunks of apple and cinnamon with a sweet sugary glaze. I also tried a toasted coconut cake doughnut. The doughnut itself was perfectly spiced and the frosting plus coconut topping was sweet and decadent without being too heavy. 


I'm going to be dreaming about these doughnuts for a while. Luckily I have my Cinnamon Snail Crème Brûlée donut to turn to in NYC, but you can't beat the prices of Voodoo. I love that despite their fame, they are still so affordable! Tip: Cash Only.


Portland Voodoo Doughnuts Menu

Voodoo Doughnuts
22 SW 3rd Avenue
Portland, OR 97205

Sign outside Voodoo Doughnuts

Other Locations:

1501 NE Davis Street
Portland, OR 97232

20 East Broadway
Eugene, OR 97401

Voodoo is also expanding to Denver, CO!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!