Saturday, November 23, 2013

Dining Out in Portland - Petunia's Pies & Pastries

Petunia's Pies & Pastries Portland
Vegan Gluten-Free Cupcake - Veega
Hummingbird Babycake - Petunia's Pies & Pastries


A gluten-free and vegan bakery that serves alcoholic beverages... it's a rare breed, but Portland has one! I stopped in here after another wonderful vegan meal a few blocks away. I was already stuffed, but couldn't resist. It's an adorable bakery with feminine, pastel colors and pretty decor, very much in line with my taste. Apparently the storefront is a new addition this year, previously they were selling their goods at a Farmer's Market. VegNews recognized the bakery a few months ago in their list of "8 Hot New Vegan Restaurants Across the Country" (a list that also included one of my new Boston faves, Root).


Cakes - Petunia's Pies & Pastries


Vegan Chocolate Cupcake Pink Frosting
Double Chocolate Babycake
with GLITTER Sprinkles
Petunia's Pies & Pastries
I kept apologizing to the staff for how long it was taking me to decide - sensory overload! They sell pies, cakes, cookies, whoopie pies, and cupcakes, as well as savory items like pizza. There were even cupcakes with glitter sprinkled on top - I need to find that for my own baking! They had these enormous, mouthwatering cakes available by the slice that I had to try. The price was a little steep for one slice at $8, but I had to remind myself that gluten-free and vegan means more expensive ingredients. In my opinion it's worth it for a much healthier dessert. I wanted to try everything, though I had my heart set on cake and ordered a slice of Black & White Cake. I also ordered a Hummingbird cupcake or "babycake", as they were so cutely named after reading positive reviews on Yelp. My friend ordered a slice of pie that must have been a special item because I didn't see it on the regular menu. My cake was decadent and rich with a silky chocolate flavor. The frosting was sweet with a hint of vanilla, just as it should be. There was a layer of chocolate ganache spread across the top, that looked beautiful on the full cake and was yummy when I had a bite with it in it. My Hummingbird babycake, which I enjoyed the next day, was similar to a carrot cake cupcake, with cream cheese frosting. It was a tad too sweet, but still had good flavor. 


Vegan Dulce de Leche Cake
Coconut Dulce de Leche Cake
Petunia's Pies & Pastries

Vegan Gluten-Free Black & White Cake - Petunia's Pies & Pastries
Black & White Cake - Petunia's Pies & Pastries

 Vegan Cake Slice

It's quite a challenge to create delicious and aesthetically pleasing baked goods that are both gluten-free and vegan, but Petunia's is successfully doing just that. I didn't get to try any cocktails with my desserts, but next time I'm in Portland I will be back. If you can't make it to the storefront in downtown Portland they also sell their products at local retailers or you can go place custom orders online, but unfortunately for delivery you would have to be fairly close-by, since there is a fee based on mileage. 
How cute is this to-go bag?!


Petunia's Pies & Pastries
610 SW 12th Avenue
Portland, OR 97205

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!