Thursday, November 21, 2013

Dining Out in Portland - Sizzle Pie

Veega Sizzle Pie Portland

Spiral Tap & New Maps Out of Hell Vegan Pizza - Sizzle Pie
Spiral Tap & New Maps Out of Hell Vegan Pizza - Sizzle Pie



Spiral Tap Vegan Pizza - Sizzle Pie
Although New York City is known for its pizza I haven't had a delicious slice of vegan pie...yet. I admit it is for a lack of trying, so I will be on the hunt and hope to find one soon. While I was in Portland, Sizzle Pie came up in my restaurant research for having fantastic pizza both non-vegan and vegan. The option for vegan pizza wasn't just a plain pie with some Daiya cheese thrown on top as a substitute. They offered a well thought-out, creative and generous menu of vegan pizzas with amusing names. If that isn't enough they also have a "Create Your Own" menu with a full list of vegan toppings, including vegan pepperoni, seitan italian sausage, and something called "buffalo jackfruit."
Vegan Pizza in Portland - Veega
My co-workers and I stopped in after going to a Trail Blazers game (and after we had had our first dinner at Veggie Grill earlier that night). They stay open late, 3am on weekdays. Somehow I found my appetite again when I smelled the heavenly pizza aroma from the street. I was even more excited to see they had two vegan pizzas available for slices, so 1) I didn't need to wait for an entire pizza to cook 2) I could try more than one variety. Even better, they didn't just offer the option of one massive slice, you could get what they called a "cut" for only a $1.75, depending on the pizza. That's a smart idea. All of their pizzas seem to be thin crust, which I prefer.


 I ordered a full slice of Spiral Tap, the more traditional though still very unique choice of the two vegan pizzas. It resembled a craft project with swirled purple and red sauces. Made with creamy caramelized onion spread, marinara sauce, and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast, I really enjoyed this one, however it was a little too sweet to have for a full meal. I immediately wished I had ordered a full slice of the second choice, New Maps Out of Hell; it was perfection! This one had a creamy basil cashew spread (more like pesto in this case), seasoned soy curls (a popular item in these parts), and your choice of three veggies, as presented on the menu. That night the additions were roasted garlic, kalamata olives, and artichoke hearts. I am not a fan of olives, but I hardly minded them with this combination of flavors. No cheese substitute necessary, I wouldn't change a thing. 

Vegan Pizza Vegan Pizza

I thought about going back to Sizzle Pie many times while in Portland, but there just wasn't enough time or room in my stomach to allow for it. I give this place two thumbs up and hope to find comparable pizza near me.

926 W. Burnside Street
Portland, OR 97205

Vegan-Friendly Sizzle Pie


No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!