Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dining Out in New Hampshire - Waterville Valley Resort

Waterville Valley NH
Vegan at Ski Resort
Say It Ain't So, Joe - Waterville Valley Resort

Winter is upon us. It's off to a promising start with more snow than last year, which means time to hit the slopes! I got back into snowboarding recently after a long hiatus and have had the opportunity to stay at a beautiful lakehouse in New Hampshire during the winter. My boyfriend and I enjoy spending a few weekends each winter there, visiting the nearby ski resorts. We try to keep our trips to the mountain simple and easy - no packed bags, no lockers, only one break in the lodge for lunch. Becoming vegan and still trying to avoid a packed lunch was sure to be a challenge. 


Vegan Ski Resort
I Spotted a Vegan Option!
Our first time through I got lucky. We visited Waterville Valley Resort in the White Mountain National Forest of New Hampshire. It was a great day of snowboarding with lots of fresh snow. We took a lunch break at the Base Area Restaurant called T-Bars. The menu had an indicator for veggie-friendly options and I quickly spotted one without dairy, the Say It Ain't So, Joe Sloppy Joe. I double checked with the kitchen on this, just to be sure. It's made with lentils, onions, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, a little chipotle pepper served on a bun with sliced red onion, tomatoes, and pickles, and comes with a side of broccoli salad and fries. I was happy with my meal, which stayed true to its name - sloppy. I felt like I was getting a filling, satisfying meal that was still very healthy, and for those who are used to seeing the typical ski resort cafeterias filled with chicken fingers, pizza, and fries (okay, guilty on this one) you know this isn't easy to come by. Kudos to Waterville Valley for offering up choices for vegetarians and vegans!

Waterville Valley Menu
Veggie-Friendly Menu at T-Bars Restaurant
T-Bars Restaurant (Base Area)
Waterville Valley Resort
Rt. 49 to Resort Village
Waterville Valley, NH 03215

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!