Monday, March 18, 2013

Dining Out in Fort Lauderdale - Sublime Restaurant

Veega Logo

Vegan Mushroom Ravioli Veega
Mushroom Ravioli - Sublime Restaurant



I spent a long weekend in Boca Raton, FL this month visiting my boyfriend's family. As with any travel, I do my research before boarding a plane to find great vegan places I want to try. This special restaurant wasn't even on my list! My boyfriend's mother found it and booked us a reservation. Sublime is a decent sized restaurant located along North Federal Highway in Ft. Lauderdale. It took a little while to get there, but in my opinion it was well worth it. 

Sublime Restaurant is 100% vegan which makes for a carefree and exciting sit-down meal. They also donate all profits to organizations that promote animal welfare and veganism. That is tough to find in the restaurant business. The owner Nanci is detail-oriented and strict with keeping the menu and the actual restaurant completely vegan. It's gotten good press and attention from some famous people, too. Pamela Anderson, Paul McCartney, and model Joanna Krupa have all dined here. 

Vegan dining with my boyfriend's family made me a little nervous since none of them are vegan. I've fed my boyfriend enough vegan food to not have to worry about him, but his father is a meat and potatoes guy. Despite not having your typical beer selection (all local breweries), and service that was a tad bit slow, it went well. We left the meal on a high note - the fabulous dessert! 

Vegan Gardein Sliders
Sliders - Sublime Restaurant
We started with two appetizers, the raved about Frito Misto and the Sliders for the carnivores at the table. The Frito Misto is cauliflower battered and fried with a delicious sweet and sour chili sauce topped with sesame seeds. It was out of this world! I could have easily had it for a meal but of course that's because it was fried. The Sliders were Gardein patties with "cheddar", onion, romaine, and special sauce. The mock meat patties were tasty and left the meat-eaters at the table satisfied, but the wheat buns were tough and dry. 

Frito Misto - Sublime Restaurant
Fried Cauliflower

Thai Red Curry - Sublime Restaurant
For our entrees we ordered two of the waiter's recommendation of Mushroom Ravioli, along with Sublime Picatta (the "meat and potatoes" dish) and Thai Red Curry. The Mushroom Ravioli is house-made mushroom-filled raviolis, cashew cream, tomato butter sauce, and basil. These are popular for a reason, the pasta was delicious and the filling creamy. I loved the roasted tomatoes. My order of Thai Red Curry was huge! The flavor was excellent - Asian vegetables, grilled tofu, red pepper, onion, broccoli, celery, bean sprouts, and jasmine rice in a creamy coconut red curry sauce. I had this for lunch the next day and it was just as good cold. I didn't try the Sublime Picatta, but this was the dish that our waiter recommended for the meat-like flavor and texture - it's a Gardein cutlet served with mashed potatoes, green beans, and a lemon-caper sauce. My boyfriend's father cleaned his plate.


Vegan Gardein Picatta Veega
Sublime Picatta - Sublime Restaurant
Vegan Coconut Cake - Veega
Coconut Cake - Sublime Restaurant
The highlight of the meal was the Coconut Cake! We devoured it in minutes. I'll be craving this cake for a while until I can find or bake something similar. Rich, moist cake layered between creamy sweet coconut frosting, served with toasted coconut garnish and a delicious delicate almond cookie.

I would go back in a heartbeat and wish it was closer to home so I could!


Sublime Restaurant
1431 North Federal Highway
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304

2 comments:

  1. Great review, thank you. I just added a link to it under Sublime's listing on my list of vegan restaurants in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Matt! I'll definitely be referencing your website when I'm traveling around the US! It's awesome to have all-vegan restaurants vs. vegan-friendly restaurants listed out like that.

      Delete

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!