Saturday, March 2, 2013

Celebrating My One-Year Vegan-niversary!

Veganniversary

Happy Veganniversary to me!

Time flies! It's been a full year since I decided to switch to a vegan diet. I can recall the moment clearly, it was at my cousin's wedding in North Carolina when I made a last minute decision to switch my meal to the vegan option. At that point I had already started incorporating a few vegan dishes into my daily menu, but I hadn't fully committed until that weekend. The vegan cake that was served at the end of the meal made me a true believer! It was the Wimbeldon cake from Sugarland Bakery in Chapel Hill.


I told myself that I would try the vegan diet, with no set end date, but if my health was ever at risk from the drastic shift I would make some changes and be more flexible. The first few weeks were a challenge. I had to take time to plan out exactly what I would eat at each meal in advance. My boyfriend at first was not excited about this major shift in my life, since it would most certainly impact his life, as well. We love dining out and trying new places, but the number of options, especially in Boston, is drastically reduced when you throw a vegan into the mix. After a month, he noted how great I looked (my skin was glowing, I had dropped a few pounds) and I noted how great I felt (more energy, lighter on my feet). Well, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I've stuck to the diet and have been very strict with it since. 


Even after a year, I'm eating or preparing new foods every week. There are probably a hundred recipes that I have stored up just waiting to create, and probably ten or more restaurants that I'm dying to try. 


Thank you for your support! I'd love to hear about your experiences with trying out vegan meals or transitioning to the diet. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your first year and here's to many more :)

    ReplyDelete

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!