Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Dining Out in London - Food for Thought


Sign at Food for Thought Logo London


Spinach Cauliflower Dal with Brown Rice & Potato Salad with Garden Salad
Food for Thought


Vegan London Dinner Crowd at Food for Thought
Dinner Crowd at Food for Thought
I'll keep this one short and sweet, because sadly Food for Thought will be closed by the end of June after more than 40 years in business. It happened to be my favorite vegan food in London and the most conveniently located, close to both my office and my hotel, in Soho. Tucked away on a small cobblestone street, it always attracted a crowd in the early evening. People just like me enjoyed their delicious savory, hearty meals. It tasted like home cooked food and the servings were always generous. Not everything they served was vegan, but they had a few vegan entrees to choose from every night and for a combo meal adding a daily salad option was easy as all of them were vegan. 

One of my favorite entrees was the Spinach Cauliflower Dal with Brown Rice. I ordered salad to go with it and got a mix of vegan potato salad and garden salad with a yummy tomato dressing. The Dal dish was creamy, perfectly seasoned and fresh. On other visits, I also tried the Stir-Fried Vegetables with Brown Rice, the Pickled Vegetables, an Avocado, Corn and Black Bean Salad. One more stand out was the dessert I tried on my last visit. The Apple Pear Crumble was jam-packed with fruit and deliciously cinnamon-spiced. Every meal I enjoyed was takeout, but as shown in the photo they do have a few tables to dine in for a small price increase.
Stir-Fried Vegetables with Brown Rice Food for Thought Vegan Blog
Stir-Fried Vegetables with Brown Rice
Food for Thought

The limited, constantly changing menu might frustrate people, especially when you find a favorite, but considering how good the various options were, I enjoyed the surprise and variety! It was cash only, but this is far more common in London than back in the states so I was used to it. If only a place like this existed in New York, where you could get a vegan meal that tastes like home and satisfies you like no other! 




Vegan Takeout London Food for Thought
Butterbean Pie - Food for Thought

Taste the Rainbow!

Food for Thought
31 Neal Street
Covent Garden
London, UK WC2H 9PR

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!