Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Dining Out in New York City - by CHLOE.

by Chloe vegan NYC restaurant
Dining In at by CHLOE in NYC Restaurant
Now this is a "Happy Meal" - by CHLOE
Given my fondness for and success with Chloe Coscarelli's recipes, it's no surprise that I was anxiously awaiting the launch of her all-vegan NYC restaurant by CHLOE. I suspected this might be coming with her efforts to grow her brand by appearing on the Today Show and keeping an active social channel going (Instagram: @bychefchloe, @chefchloe) where she shared updates along the way; this was a smart move, building loyalty before opening. The location is another smart move, near the W 4th Street subway stop and right by NYU, where students can grab vegan grub until 12am most nights. The creative direction and branding is just like her, refreshing, adorable and easily likable! 


by CHLOE
Interior Design, Complete with Wicker Chair Swings (on the other side) - by CHLOE

Love all the packaging!

Tara Keramaty & Chloe Coscarelli
I saw the announcement just yesterday that her restaurant was having its grand opening on Tuesday, July 28th and I excitedly told my boyfriend exactly what we'd be doing for dinner the next day. He's enjoyed many Chloe cookbook recipes and was happy to take me! We showed up around 7:30pm and a large, but well managed line was there. They were giving away free cookies all day and even free burgers to the first 50 customers. The website only launched today with a posting of their menu, so I scrambled to make a very hard decision. In line, Chloe herself came around with free samples of a Peanut Butter Cacao Smoothie and a Kale Smoothie. Both were very yummy! I didn't hold back and asked to take a picture with her, she is so sweet! 

Now for our taste testing in the form of a large meal: I ordered the Kale Caesar Salad, as is, with shiitake bacon, avocado, almond parmesan, maple-wheat croutons, capers, grape tomatoes, and Caesar dressing. I hate to criticize my first choice, but this was just too salty for me to order again. I finished it, of course and thought the ingredients themselves were great, but it seemed like each one got salted separately and then tossed together. Along with it, I had a small order of Mac N' Cheese, which was creamy and delicious with a slight kick of smokey spice. The sauce coating the shells was a sweet potato cheese and it was topped with another dose of crunchy shiitake bacon. 
Mac N Cheese with Bacon Veega Vegan
Mac N' Cheese - by CHLOE


Vegan Burger in NYC
The Classic Burger - by CHLOE 

My non-vegan boyfriend got The Classic Burger with Air Baked French Fries. The Classic Burger is built off a super hearty patty with tempeh, lentil, chia and walnut, topped with pickles, onion, beet ketchup and served on a potato bun. I had one bite and said without much experience myself, "tastes like a real burger!" My boyfriend didn't want to share, which is a good sign. His major complaint with vegan burgers is the mistake of serving a mushy veggie-based burger on tough, dry bread so the whole thing falls apart in your hands - this burger had a soft bun and it held it all together. The fries were also very tasty and you'd have no idea they weren't actually "fried." The Beet Ketchup was hot pink and sweet, a nice upgrade. The Special Sauce was light orange and likely a cashew cream base, it was a little bland and I would have preferred more of a mayo or vegannaise flavor. 

 French Fries at by CHLOEVegan Sauces at by CHLOE NYC

Hostess Vegan Cupcake CHLOE NYC
Chlostess Cupcake - by CHLOE
Dessert was another full course! For my free cookie, I got the Cinnamon Espresso Cookie, compared to my experience making these from her cookbook hers were much thinner and crisp, not moist. I really liked it, its got a slight overbaked taste, but in a good way that complements the espresso flavor. My boyfriend bought for himself (thinking he wouldn't have to share!) a big square of the Banana Bread and a Chlostess Cupcake (previous blog post here). He really enjoyed the Banana Bread, stuffed with chocolate chips and walnuts. As for the Chlostess Cupcake, this was super chocolatey and velvetly smooth and rich. 

Vegan Cinnamon Espresso Cookie - by CHLOE NYC
Cinnamon Espresso Cookie - by CHLOE

Vegan Dessert Case at by CHLOE NYC
These Look Familiar! The Many Dessert Options - by CHLOE

The menu is lengthy, especially considering this is a brand new restaurant, so that means I will be making many return trips. Chloe is a doll and was a pleasure to talk to, so it makes it a no brainer to support her in her business endeavor! Good luck :)


by CHLOE.
185 Bleecker Street
New York, NY 10012

by CHLOE in NYC
by CHLOE from the Outside

2 comments:

  1. I was there yesterday too! Chloe is so sweet, and the burger I had was fantastic. Can't wait to go back and try more dishes. It's perfect that it's in my favorite neighborhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tara,
    The food looked very nice, tasty and healthy. I like to eat spicy food. But if you added the ingredients to how to make this food. It will be pleasure for me. Thank you for your nice sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!