Monday, March 10, 2014

Dining Out in New York City - Souen

Souen New York City Sign Logo
Macro Plate with Carrot Dressing - Souen Vegan NYC Veega
Macro Plate with Carrot Dressing - Souen

I came here for a late dinner with my parents on a Saturday night. I'll admit that I planned the meal with dessert in mind at nearby Lula's Sweet Apothecary. There are three locations around NYC - Soho, Union Square, and East Village, where we dined. When we stopped in they didn't have a table open and told us it would be about twenty minutes, so we walked down the street and grabbed a drink at a nice Peruvian restaurant Mancora on the corner. We walked back after, but unfortunately our table was still not ready. It was a bit frustrating because they didn't quote the right amount of wait time and there was no space to wait inside this tiny, narrow restaurant. We were hungry, but decided to be patient. 


Vegan Tahini Shoyu with Soba Noodles - Souen NYC
Tahini Shoyu with Soba Noodles - Souen
Souen offers a variety of healthy Japanese meal options like vegetable sides, soups, salads, sushi and noodle dishes, with a focus on organic, macrobiotic cuisine. They serve fish so this is not an entirely vegan establishment. Knowing I was going to indulge for dessert, I went with the healthiest option, the Macro Plate with Carrot Dressing. I was interested in a creamy dressing and thought of trying the tahini versions, but as soon as the waitress said the carrot included ginger and was on the sweeter side, I went for it. The dish is basic, but includes wholesome ingredients: steamed kale, broccoli, black beans, kabocha squash, carrot, wakame seaweed, and brown rice. The carrot dressing is thick, brightly colored orange, and delicious. My mom opted for a vegan Pad Thai with Tofu, that I thought tasted authentic and lighter than traditional Thai "fast food." My dad ordered the Tahini Shoyu with Soba Noodles in a tasty broth, filled with veggies. I liked both of their meals, but was more in the mood for my healthy, simple plate of steamed vegetables that filled me up quickly. 

Egg-Free Vegan Pad Thai with Tofu - Souen New York City
Vegan Pad Thai with Tofu - Souen

Though the service could have been improved, I appreciate a restaurant that serves clean and healthy meals. Even the desserts were enticing because of sugar-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and of course dairy-free options. I've also heard the Yuba (tofu skin) in broth is worth getting, so I might try that on my return visit. Based on the food and ambiance I think this place is a better fit for lunch. Prices were average, nothing seemed overpriced.

Macro Plate with Carrot Dressing on Top - Souen


Souen East Village Vegan Restaurant

Souen (East Village)
326 East 6th Street
New York, NY10003

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!