Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Dining Out in New York City - Vegan Divas


Vegan Divas - Bakery in NYC - Veega Blog
Carrot Cake - Vegan Divas

I think I hit the jackpot. Walking around the Upper East Side I stumbled upon a little shop that may be the answer to my prayers. A healthy, low-calorie, all vegan bakery. How did I not know about this sooner? It's called Vegan Divas. From the looks of it, it seems to be a direct competitor to BabyCakes. Both focus on using healthier ingredients like spelt flour, maple sugar, and coconut oil to create cruelty-free baked goods. Yes, these come at a premium, but when you can have your low-calorie, wholesome, vegan cake and eat it too, it's worth it.

Mini Toasted Coconut Doughnut - Vegan Divas

Veega Blog - NYC Vegan Bakery


Vegan Divas - Upper East Side - NYCIt was a tough decision when making my first purchase since I was overwhelmed by my options, but I went with the Mini Toasted Coconut Doughnut and a slice of Carrot Cake. I really liked the small serving sizes for some of the desserts like the doughnuts and mousse, because it satisfies the sweet tooth without overdoing it on portions. As noted, prices can be steep, particularly on the full servings - a whole cake is $60, so the slice was plenty. Some customers complained about the taste and texture of the baked goods on Yelp, but my guess is that they are expecting it to be like what you'd find at a nearby Crumbs or Magnolia Bakery and that just isn't the case. You do have to sacrifice some taste when you reduce the fat. I still really enjoyed the treats here and would gladly return (I've got my eyes on a slice of chocolate cake). I like that they also offer gluten-free versions and share the ingredients of items online.

If someone wants to make my day, feel free to send me any of the amazing gift sets available for purchase on their website. :)

Gift Bags Vegan Baked Goods - Vegan Divas
Pre-Packaged Vegan Baked Goods

Vegan Divas
1437 1st Avenue (between 74th & 75th Streets)
New York, NY 10021
Vegan Divas Website

Vegan Bakeries in NYC
Vegan Divas - Upper East Side

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely review! We have added a link and screen shot of your article to www.vegandivas.com under 'featured in. We always appreciate the support! Can't wait to see you again in the store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! Thank you so much for the recognition. I'm a big fan and can't wait to make a return visit very soon :)

      Delete

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!