Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dining Out in Milwaukee - The Comet Cafe

Vegan Veega The Comet Cafe
Leghorn Sandwich - The Comet Cafe

I had the pleasure of visiting Milwaukee for the first time this month when I traveled west for a wedding. We had a long drive from Chicago to Door County, Wisconsin so we made a pit stop in Milwaukee for lunch on the way back. After doing some quick research on my phone I chose The Comet Cafe for its vegan-friendly menu and fame from being featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on the Food Network. Guy Fieri went for the bacon-wrapped meatloaf and fried turkey ball, but despite the show's heavy meat focus, this place knows how to cater to a vegan!

The Glorious Cupcake Case!
(Pardon the glare)
A large portion of the menu that isn't vegan can be made vegan and there are some dishes that are already vegan. They also offer huge cupcakes that come in a laundry list of flavors - there were two vegan options the day I went - Red Velvet and Pistachio - Rose Water. At first I was upset because they were only serving their brunch menu (til 3pm on Saturdays and Sundays) which meant I wouldn't get to try the highly reviewed Vegan Deep Fried Ribs or Vegan Gyro. I even tried calling ahead to plead for it with no luck. Oh well. Instead I had the Leghorn Sandwich veganized - Field Roast vegan meat, vegan cream cheese, cucumbers, apricot jam, lettuce, tomato, and onion on toasted wheat bread. It came with a huge plate of seasoned fries. The sandwich was very good, loved the unique flavors, but the bread could have been better. It was a little dry and small for the filling. It would have been better as a panini so it all stayed together.

Leghorn Sandwich The Comet Cafe Vegan
Leghorn Sandwich - The Comet Cafe
Field Roast vegan meat, Vegan cream cheese, Cucumbers,
Apricot Jam, Lettuce, Tomato, & Onion on Wheat Bread

Despite its reputation and the tagline in their sign, our experience was not "slow food". We were in a rush to get back to the airport so we were nervous about getting slow service. We found seats at the bar and were greeted and served quickly. If I'm ever in Milwaukee again I will definitely be making another visit to The Comet Cafe - next time for lunch or dinner!



The Comet Cafe
1947 N Farwell Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53202

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!