Saturday, May 11, 2013

Dining In - Simple Side Salad with Shallot-Dijon Vinaigrette

Simple Side Salad with Shallot-Dijon Vinaigrette Veega
Simple Side Salad with Shallot-Dijon Vinaigrette - Chloe's Kitchen

Sadly, it's taken me quite a while to get to the Soups and Salads section of Chloe's Kitchen. All of the entrees sounded so appetizing that I spent my time focused on those first, but with summer around the corner it's time to lighten it up a bit. I recently tried California Chipotle Chop Salad with Lime-Agave Vinaigrette and it met the high standard I have for Chloe's recipes :) This one delivered as well! Just as the name suggests, it was simple to prepare and more creative than a typical side salad.

This marks the first time I ever used beets in a recipe! For the longest time I avoided this purple vegetable. They have a bad reputation for their texture and appearance, but their health benefits outweigh those things. Now that I’ve expanded my palate I’ve discovered I actually like them. I was able to find cooked beets in the refrigerated section of Trader Joe’s, right next to the cooked lentils.

This colorful salad is the perfect start to a meal. It’s not too filling since it is lacking some protein. The dressing was creamy and a pretty pale yellow color. I enjoyed the mustard flavor and the shallot was a 
nice change from onions or garlic. I would definitely make this again, especially the dressing. You can find this recipe and others in Chloe's Kitchen (buy your copy here).
 
Vegan Salad Recipe - VeegaShallot-Dijon Vinaigrette
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 medium shallot, chopped
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Simple Side Salad
4 oz. mixed greens
1 large tomato, chopped
1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons carrots, peeled and shredded
3 tablespoons beets, cooked and shredded
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
Ground black pepper

To Prepare Shallot-Dijon Vinaigrette:

Add all five ingredients to a blender and pulse until well combined. It will look yellowish and creamy. 


To Prepare Simple Side Salad:

Toss mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, beets, parsley and Shallot-Dijon Vinaigrette together. Season with black pepper.


Vegan - Simple Side Salad with Shallot-Dijon Vinaigrette
After Tossing the Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!