Saturday, May 11, 2013

Dining Out in Boston - Allston Diner



BBQ Seitan, Daiya Cheese, Texas Toast, Tofu Scramble, Home Fries - Vegan
Vegan BBQ Breakfast - Allston Diner


Allston Diner Vegan-Friendly
I was surprised to learn that this diner was vegan-friendly. I admit I didn't really know much about it beforehand and didn't have much desire to go, but once I learned there was something there for me I was eager to try it. It's fairly easy to miss, but you can find it down the street from a few other vegan-friendly Allston spots I've posted about, Deep Ellum, Grasshopper and FoMu. They even have a sticker in their window that says "Vegan-Friendly." The restaurant is on the small side, but had quirky, retro decor, with tables covered in old newspaper cartoons, and friendly staff. 


The vegan menu options include Flapjacks, a southern veggie burger called the Dixie Burger, the Ultimate Vegan Breakfast which includes tofu scramble, toast, soy sausage, and home fries, and the dish I went with - Vegan BBQ Breakfast. This one excited me most, it had seitan covered in a homemade BBQ sauce, with melted Daiya cheese over Texas toast, served with tofu scramble and home fries. It was a dirty, sloppy mess of a meal and that's just what I was in the mood for. The portion was huge! I loved the sweet BBQ sauce and it was such a treat to get a slice of cheese-covered Texas toast. The home fries were almost like potato chips, thinly sliced circles. The tofu scramble was a bit on the dry side, but I don't have much to compare it to since I've only tried one other not-so-great vegan scramble. 

Vegan Options - Allston Diner

I consider brunch to be the hardest meal to get as a vegan. Sure you can always order oatmeal and a bowl of fruit, but brunch is supposed to be a heavy, indulgent meal and sometimes after a big weekend that's what I want. Overall I was happy with my meal and the experience. I would go back.

Veega Allston Diner Vegan


Allston Diner
431 Cambridge Street
Allston, MA 02134
Allston Menu (No website available)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!