Sunday, November 16, 2014

Dining Out in Minneapolis - Pizza Lucé


Sign for Pizza Lucé

Athena Pizza, Gluten-Free & Vegan - Pizza Lucé Veega Blog
Athena Pizza, Gluten-Free & Vegan - Pizza Lucé

I visited Minneapolis for the first time earlier this year on a business trip. I knew my options would be limited for vegan dining, but I was happy to find a vegan-friendly menu at a local pizza chain, Pizza Lucé. The food wasn't anything to write home about, but I was fed and enjoyed seeing a menu well labeled, meeting the needs of dietary restricted diners. I first dined in with a friend.  Our waiter was friendly and was able to speak to the vegan options. We started with an app, the Veggie Meatball Appetizer, with veggie balls smothered in thick red sauce seasoned with herbs and served with garlic toast. These were hearty and good, probably the highlight of the meal. 


Vegan Veega Menu Options Pizza Luce

Vegan Blog Veega Minneapolis - Pizza Lucé
Mock Muffeletta - Pizza Lucé
For my entrée I had the Mock Muffeletta Sandwich. It was okay, but the bread to filling ratio wasn't quite right, as you can see in the photo. It came with BBQ sauce and seasoned mock duck, similar to seitan texture, with Muffeletta olive mixture, red onions, and Rinotta, their homemade vegan cheese made with tofu and cashews. I would and did skip this the next time. We finished out the meal with two desserts, because the prices were so cheap and I wanted to try as much of the menu as possible! We ordered the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars and the Molly Bar. The Molly Bar (both gluten-free and vegan) was supposed to be a brownie, but it so dry and chalky we actually told the waiter we didn't want it. The Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars on the other hand were very good. It reminded me of a Rice Krispie treat, but made with peanut butter. It was topped with a layer of chocolate and powdered sugar garnish. These were very crumbly and flaky, but not dry in a bad way like the Molly Bar. 

Molly Bar, Gluten-Free & Vegan - Pizza Lucé

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar - Pizza Lucé

The second time I ordered delivery to my hotel room. Unlike Galatic Pizza, Pizza Lucé offers free delivery! I treated myself because there was no way I was stepping outdoors again in the -15 degree temperature. Nothing quite like pizza delivery to your hotel room, lounging in PJs, and watching reality TV after a day's work! I ordered the Athena pizza with a few modifications to make it gluten-free and vegan. Typically it includes fresh spinach, tomato, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, red onions, Greek oregano and toasted garlic with light mozzarella on Bianca sauce. My order was: 1) gluten-free crust 2) no feta 3) swap out mozzarella for vegan cheese and 4) no olives (I'm just not a fan). Again, it wasn't anything outstanding, but it satisfied my craving and was more than enough to fill me up. I much prefer the vegan cheese (it might be Daiya) over their Rinotta homemade vegan cheese, which does have a grainy texture like ricotta. 

All in all I would and have gone back to Pizza Lucé when in town because my options are so limited, but it's been hit-or-miss so far. I think I'll stick with the vegan cheese pizzas or appetizers.


Pizza Lucé
119 North 4th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55401

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!