Sunday, November 2, 2014

Dining Out in Chicago - Chicago Raw

Raw Chicago - Veega Blog Vegan

Spaghetti + "Meatballs" - Chicago Raw Veega Blog Vegan
Spaghetti + "Meatballs" - Chicago Raw

I've only visited a few all raw vegan restaurants, but am beginning to see more raw dishes show up on menus at vegan-friendly spots. I would like to eat more raw meals to freshen up and liven up my diet, but when the temperature begins to drop outside it's difficult to feel as satisfied eating cold veggies. It doesn't help that buying prepared raw meals puts a dent in your wallet. I was still eager to give Chicago Raw a shot earlier this month. I escaped the office for a quick lunch pick-up at the W. Huron Street location. The great thing about Chicago Raw is that everything is prepared and pre-packaged so there is no wait when you grab a meal here. There is something a little off-putting about selecting a cold meal from the fridge in a plastic container, but at least I knew the ingredients were fresh and healthy. 

Signature Sampler Platter - Chicago Raw Veega Blog
Signature Sampler Platter - Chicago Raw
I would only have one chance to try the food here during my stay, so I grabbed the Signature Sampler Platter for $13 to get the most variety and try out the most popular menu items. It comes with Spaghetti and a "Meatball," Ravioli, Garden Burger, and a small dessert sample. I also picked up a couple of other dessert samples at the checkout counter - Apple Pie and Carrot Cake. Raw food can really fill you up and I was stuffed after devouring this large sample box. Starting with the Ravioli, these were small and fragile, filled with cashew cheese and wrapped up with turnip rounds. They were served with a shared side of Marinara (also for the Spaghetti) and Parsley Relish. They were a little too plain on their own so I enjoyed the mix of sauces with them. I could have eaten a bowl of these. Next I dove into the Garden Burger, a thick, hearty patty with a variety of seeds and vegetables - no nuts or oil! This came with Red Pepper Ketchup and Mustard smothered on top. I enjoyed this one a lot, but kept thinking how good it would be served warm with a bun and some fixings! Lastly was the Spaghetti and Meatball, a bowl of fresh zucchini shreds, a seed-based meatball that was similar to the Garden Burger, and a chunky basil and green olive Marinara sauce. I expected the noodles to taste watery and plain, but they didn't. I liked it. My favorite out of the three was the Garden Burger. They also threw in a mini dessert which I believe was the My Lucky Truffle, a minty chocolate ball. The two sampler desserts on the side were the Apple Pie - gala apples, dates, raisins, cinnamon, and the Carrot Cake - carrot, apricot, nuts blended with cinnamon. They reminded me of Larabars in their simplicity and were a nice way to finish off a satiating meal.

Dessert Samples - Chicago Raw Apple Pie Carrot Cake Vegan Blog
Dessert Samples - Chicago Raw

Chicago Raw Vegan Veega Blog
In the refrigerated cases you can also find condiments and sauces to purchase and incorporate into your meals at home. They also sell other packaged dry snacks and smoothies. Overall it's an overwhelming variety of healthy, raw, vegan foods to choose from in a grab-and-go style store. I appreciate the passion and focus that the two women who opened Chicago Raw share and I will likely be back when I return to Chicago and need to stay far away from any vegan deep dish pizzas (surprisingly I still have yet to find this by the way...)!



Vegan Tuna Sandwich Veega Blog
Mock Tuna Pate Sandwich - Chicago Raw

Chicago Raw
51 W Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60654
Chicago Raw Website

Chicago Raw W Huron St Vegan Veega Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!