Saturday, February 9, 2013

Dining In - Tempeh BLT Sandwich

Vegan Tempeh BLT Sandwich
Vegan Tempeh BLT Sandwich

Vegan Tempeh Bacon Nutrition Facts
Nutrition Facts - Tempeh Bacon
While I try to limit mock meat consumption and reduce the amount of processed foods I eat, sometimes you just need a little variety and a little indulgence. It was only a couple months ago that I tried fake bacon. I had ordered a "bacon" wrap at a vegan-friendly restaurant and it was delicious, so I decided to pick up a package while shopping at Whole Foods. I got the tempeh variety because it was organic, non-GMO, and the ingredients list was a little shorter than the other soy varieties. I was surprised at the nutrition content. Seven small slices of bacon is only 130 calories, 1g of fat, and 12g of protein.

Tempeh Bacon Whole Foods


I made myself a BLT sandwich with toasted whole wheat bread sprinkled with some Daiya cheese, lettuce, tomato, and vegan mayonnaise. You can also add some avocado or use it to replace the vegan mayonnaise, both add the desired creamy texture. I've also made a BLT salad using the same ingredients, minus the bread, and it was quite satisfying.

For another out-of-this-world fake bacon recipe, try this Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip.

Veega Tempeh Bacon
Vegan BLT

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!