Sunday, October 28, 2012

Dining In - Whole Wheat Vegan Banana Pancakes

vegan wheat banana pancakes
Whole Wheat Vegan Banana Pancakes

I was in the mood for a sweet breakfast treat, so I decided to make a quick batch of pancakes. I've made Chloe's Kitchen "Pancakes for Dinner" recipe a couple times and it does the trick at satisfying a pancake craving. I wanted to revise it a bit to incorporate healthier ingredients like wheat flour and flaxseed, so I came up with an adapted version that I'll give a boring, descriptive name - Whole Wheat Vegan Banana Pancakes. These are fluffy, light pancakes without any milk or oil in the batter like traditional pancakes (just a little for coating the pan). The best part is these take no time at all to prepare!




1 cup whole wheat flour

1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground flaxseed (I used Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal)
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 1/2 bananas, cut into small slices
Canola oil for greasing the pan
Maple syrup for topping

In a medium bowl combine all dry ingredients. In a small bowl combine water and agave. Add the wet mixture to dry. Don't overmix the batter. The batter will be very fluffy from the baking powder, this is normal.


Lightly grease a large skillet or griddle with the canola oil and heat on medium. Scoop 1/3 cup (more or less depending on how large you want the pancakes) onto the pan, add banana slices, and heat through until bubbles form in the middle. You may need to flatten them out a bit, since the batter is somewhat stiff. Flip the pancakes over and heat until lightly browned. 


3 comments:

  1. Made these this morning. Very yummy. Folded some blueberries in the batter also. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really like banana pudding, which seems to be an interesting Paleo dish but I do enjoy bananas in pancakes.

    ReplyDelete

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!