Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Dining Out in Maine - Silly's

Silly's Logo - Veega

Tofu in a Dinghy - Silly's Restaurant - Veega
Tofu in a Dinghy - Silly's Restaurant

Vegan Pad Thai in Flour Tortilla

I'm so glad I got the chance to try Silly's! My boyfriend and I stopped in on our drive back from a great weekend in Vinalhaven. It was another instance of me quickly researching on my phone for nearby vegan-friendly places and stumbling upon a gem. It reminded me of Friendly Toast, with it's quirky, retro decor, including old school lunch boxes for menu holders, and friendly staff. The diner-style menu is large with numerous options for vegans that all sounded delicious - it was tough to pick! They note that there are separate gluten-free and vegan friers to prep the food. I love how open and honest this place is - check out their website for info on how they source their food - almost everything is homemade and local! 


We arrived there right before the end of Sunday brunch, which included some amazing vegan dishes, but I opted for lunch instead. I was in the mood for some junk food and threw caution to the wind by ordering their famous Fried Pickles for an appetizer and Tofu in a Dinghy for my entree. I was determined to get a milkshake when I saw the long list of vegan-friendly options, but sadly I stuffed myself and couldn't do it. 
Milkshake Menu

The Fried Pickles are normally vegetarian, not vegan, because they are coated with buttermilk, but the waitstaff immediately offered us the option of making them vegan and it sounded like that was a common request. The dill pickle slices were coated in spicy breading and served with a homemade, creamy spice dip. I loved that I could enjoy a dip like this, since usually any kind of dip, sauce, or dressing that even looks creamy is off-limits. Yum! It was my first time trying fried pickles and despite a minor stomachache from all the excess oil I give it a thumbs up! I guess they could have been a little crispier, but the flavor was there.

Vegan Fried Pickles - Silly's Restaurant

My waiter had suggested Peace, Love, and Veggies for an entree, which sounded delicious and likely the healthiest dish on the menu, but again I was not holding back for this meal, so Tofu in a Dinghy was my choice. It was essentially an order of Pad Thai with Tofu rolled up in a tortilla and then fried - yeah, once again, I did not hold back for this meal! Here's the real description: Thai ginger peanut sauce, rice noodles, fried tofu, vegan mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, scallions in a flour tortilla deep fried in a chimi style, served with mandarin oranges and fresh baby spinach on the side (which sadly got ignored). I killed the whole tortilla, after already diving into the Fried Pickles, turned down the milkshake at the end, and then rolled myself out of there, happy and full! Thanks, Silly's.

I can't wait to go back! There are so many more things I want to try here :)


Silly's Restaurant
40 Washington Avenue
Portland, ME 04101

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!