Sunday, September 22, 2013

Dining Out in Boston - Root



Vegan Black Bean Burger - root Allston - Veega
Root Burger with Herbed Fries - root

My belly is full and my taste-buds are happy as I write this. I stopped in to the newly opened "root" in Allston and brought my parents along for what turned out to be a delicious vegan meal.

Inspired by Yelp reviews, we started with an order of Sweet Corn and Jalapeño Hushpuppies served with housemade ketchup and garlic aioli over a bed of arugula. They were mildly spicy, which I preferred, and fried to a nice golden crisp. I really liked the dips they were served with.

Sweet Corn & Jalapeño Hushpuppies - root



 Po' Boy with Side of Dressed Greens - root
For entrees, my parents both ordered the root Burger with Herbed Fries on the side, served with a yummy housemade ketchup. The burger is made of black beans and quinoa served with Boston lettuce, tomato, crispy onions and garlic aioli on a bun. It was hearty with great flavor. I ordered the Po' Boy - a huge sandwich with crispy cauliflower, sweet pickles, tomato, lettuce, and a spicy housemade remoulade. It was much spicier than I had expected, especially since the menu made no mention of "spicy" or "hot," but I managed to get through it...slowly. It was all served on a fresh Iggy's bun. I would have enjoyed it more with less bread and the heat turned down a notch. I ordered it with a side of greens since I was sharing stealing the fries from my parents' plates. The salad was fresh with a tasty light dressing.

The atmosphere is modern with an industrial, earthly feel. Though small, you can still have a nice casual dining in experience. The tables are copper with wooden benches. You can serve yourself water in mason jars and your food order is brought to your table. The staff was friendly and helpful, just like at their sister spot FoMu. Other items on the menu include salads, juices, and other sandwiches. If you want dessert just walk a few doors down and grab a delicious scoop of dairy-free ice cream.

I'll be back to try some of the other recommended items. This one is good in my book!


Photos of the Restaurant:

       



root Restaurant
487 Cambridge Street
Allston, MA 02134

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!