Saturday, June 8, 2013

Dining In - Buffalo Tempeh Mozzarella Panini

Veega Vegan Panini Recipe
Buffalo Tempeh Mozzarella Panini - Vegan Yack Attack

I found this recipe on Pinterest. The cheesy, mouthwatering sandwich looked too good to be true and when I clicked the link to the recipe I was pleasantly surprised that it was fairly simple to make. I'm not a huge fan of hot and spicy foods, but even with Frank's Red Hot sauce this wasn't too spicy. I made this for my boyfriend and I for a quick dinner and it was very well received - by both of us! It would be even better as a filling lunch. I'll be making this again!



Here is the original recipe on Vegan Yack Attack. I (almost) doubled it for two panini sandwiches, and made adjustments for prepping the tempeh:

4-5 oz. tempeh, cut into cubes
1 cup kale, ripped into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons buffalo sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot - check the labels when shopping, many contain milk!)
1/2 cup vegan shredded mozzarella (Trader Joe's now sells vegan shredded cheese, and it's cheaper than Daiya!)
2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
4 slices wheat bread

Start by steaming tempeh cubes for 15 minutes using a steamer basket and a pot of water. This will remove the bitterness.

Spread Vegan Mayonnaise on All Slices
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. Add kale. After kale softens and starts to wilt add in tempeh cubes and buffalo sauce. Stir to coat cubes and kale with the sauce. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat. 

Spread vegan mayonnaise on all four slices of bread. Spoon half of the tempeh and kale onto 2 slices of bread. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of vegan mozzarella on top. Place other slice of bread on top. 

Heat a panini press and coat with cooking spray. Place sandwich on the press and close. Cook for about 3-5 minutes or until you see nice browned grill lines in the sandwiches. Cut on the diagonal and serve!

Buffalo Tempeh Sandwich Veega


1 comment:

  1. Pretty amazing! Send me an email and I'll show you our picture of our home mane tempeh made into a tempeh panini with special sauce.
    We produced Betsy's Tempeh in Mich. for 9 1/2 years and developed a new process for making tempeh on stainless steel trays. makethebesttempeh.org
    We have now filed a patent for a tempeh incubator that would be useful in restaurants and small shops making artisan tempeh for the local community. Feel free to write.
    Betsy Shipley
    betsyandgunter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!