Saturday, December 21, 2013

Dining Out in New York City - V-Note

V-Note Logo
Raw Zucchini Pappardelle - V-Note NYC
Zucchini Pappardelle - V-Note Organic Wine Bar & Vegan Bistro

I made a last minute reservation at V-Note for dinner to make use of a Groupon voucher I had bought a few weeks earlier. It's not a spot that was on the top of my must-visit list, but I'm always excited to try a new vegan restaurant. It is run by the owners of Blossom and CafĂ© Blossom, two other well known vegan restaurants in NYC. I dined at this Upper East Side establishment with my non-vegan boyfriend on a Friday night. It's fairly small so I recommend making a reservation. 


Cape Cod Cakes - V-Note - Vegan Crab Cakes Tartar Sauce
Cape Cod Cakes - V-Note
Our waiter provided us with menu recommendations and great service overall. My boyfriend picked an appetizer for us to share. We had the Cape Cod Cakes that were a blend of hiziki seaweed, tofu, and herbs served with a side of greens and tartar sauce. They are similar to a crab cake in terms of flavor and looks, served as a small lightly fried ball. I was skeptical about them at first because I think it's more of a challenge to successfully veganize seafood, but they were super delicious! I would go back just for these or order them as takeout, definitely the highlight of the meal. 



For an entree I ordered the raw Zucchini Pappardelle with thinly sliced raw zucchini, avocado, cherry tomatoes, olives, red peppers, marinated onions, oyster mushroom, almond butter, and cashew cream. My boyfriend opted for the most "safe" and traditional dish on the menu, the lasagna, served with sauteed eggplant, broccoli rabe, and a red sauce. After having a warm appetizer that was outstanding it was hard to go to a healthier raw dish, but I still enjoyed mine. As most raw food is, it was very filling and tested fresh. My boyfriend was starving and wolfed down his lasagna. I got a taste and it was okay, but nothing special. 


Raw Zucchini Pappardelle - V-Note

Eggplant Lasagna - V-Note - Veega
Lasagna - V-Note
Vegan Butterfinger Milkshake - V-Note - NYC
Butterfinger Shake - V-Note

I had my eye on dessert and was making a tough decision between the beloved Chocolate Ganache Cake with a peanut butter center or a Butterfinger Shake. The weather was unseasonably warm so I opted for the shake. I've had the Butterfinger Shake at Terri and in comparison I preferred this one at V-Note. Terri's shake was a little too sweet. This did have a slightly chalky taste and texture, but it's not too surprising with non-dairy milks. 

I would go back to try more of the appetizers, particularly the Yelpers' favorite Black Eyed Pea Cake. The ambiance is intimate and romantic, a good date night spot.


Menu at V-Note New York


V-Note Organic Wine Bar & Vegan Bistro
1522 First Avenue 
(between 79th & 80th Streets)
New York, NY 10075

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!