Sunday, July 14, 2013

Dining In - Raw Kale Salad with Simple Sweet Tahini Dressing

Vegan Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
Raw Kale Salad with Simple Sweet Tahini Dressing - Happy. Healthy. Life.

I found this simple and healthy "5-step raw kale salad" recipe on Pinterest. It's from a popular vegan food website I've visited before called Happy. Healthy. Life. You can find the full recipe here. Although I've tried to incorporate more kale into my diet, I have to admit I had not yet had it raw. It's much tougher than lettuce, with a slightly bitter taste, so I had my doubts on this one. Luckily I was mistaken. This salad is delicious! The dressing is the best part (as it often is) and I'm sure I'll be making it again to use on other salads. It was creamy, rich and tangy and still so good for you! This was a very quick recipe with little clean up, since you can easily make the dressing without a blender. The one note I will add is to make sure you have a breath mint around for after! Raw onions have a way of lingering on your breath. 

Kale Salad

4 cups raw kale, stems removed, chopped or torn into bite-sized pieces
3/4 cup carrots, shredded
1 small avocado, diced (I used half and it worked just fine)
1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (or pepitas)

Simple Sweet Tahini Dressing

2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 pinches of cayenne
Salt and ground black pepper, for seasoning




To Prepare Kale Salad:

Prep veggies by chopping, as much or as little as desired. Toss together in a large bowl. 


Vegan Salad Dressing VeegaTo Prepare Simple Sweet Tahini Dressing:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.

Make salad by pouring dressing over veggies and toss together. If you are patient, chill the salad for an hour in the refrigerator to allow the dressing to set and marinate veggies. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!