Monday, December 16, 2013

Dining Out in Portland - Los Gorditos

Soycurl Nachos - Los Gorditos Vegan Mexican
Soycurl Nachos - Los Gorditos

I was excited about this place for the filling, "cheesy," dirty-in-a-good-way Mexican food. It's rare to find classics like nachos, quesadillas, and burritos that still have all the heavier, creamy ingredients like sour cream and cheese served in a vegan-friendly way. My friend and I ended up here because we discovered Blossoming Lotus had moved and was no longer across the street in the Pearl District of Portland. I had this on my list of top vegan food spots, so I wasn't too upset to give it a try.

Los Gorditos Menus Portland


Soycurl Taco - Los Gorditos Portland
Soycurl Taco - Los Gorditos
They have a separate vegan menu with lots to choose from. We were excited about trying the live nachos from Blossoming Lotus so we ordered nachos here to satisfy that craving. Unfortunately they weren't the greatest. They were too dry in a sense that there wasn't any melted cheese or enough sour cream or refried beans on them to get that loaded nachos effect going, you know when the chips get stuck together and it's so messy you have to eat it with a fork? Those are good nachos. They came with soycurls, a popular vegan item in Portland, rice, lettuce, onion, jalapeƱos, avocado, tomato, cilantro and refried beans. I had to get my filling of "cheese"so I ordered a Cheese Quesadilla Solo alongside an order of Soycurl Taco. The quesadilla was definitely more in line with the melted, greasy, cheesy taste I was looking for - they use Follow Your Heart brand. The Soycurl Taco was served in a soft corn tortilla with grilled fajita vegetables, beans, onion and cilantro. One cool part of dining here is that there is a self-serve sauce station offering salsas and hot sauces from mild to very spicy. I tried a few and stuck with the medium to spicy variety.


Vegan Cheese Quesadilla - Los Gorditos Portland
Cheese Quesadilla Solo - Los Gorditos

Overall the dining experience was okay. The staff was super friendly and helpful and the prices were below average, but the food wasn't outstanding and in Portland there are higher standards to meet. I would definitely be willing to try other menu items to give this a second chance... next time I'm in Portland!



Vegan Menu at Los Gorditos Portland



Los Gorditos
922 NW Davis Street
Portland, OR 97209

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’d love to hear from you, so please leave comments!